Thursday, March 3, 2016

What makes you uncomfortable?

My second season as a track coach at our State Meet

As I've gotten older, I've realized that the things that make me the most uncomfortable are probably the things that will make me grow the most as a person.  Since I was a little boy I've always been quiet and reserved, especially in social situations, and wouldn't think of public speaking. So, if you told me when I was younger that I would volunteer to get up in front of a group of teenagers I didn't know and share about my career, I would have told you that you were crazy.  Well, it turns out you wouldn't be crazy after all, because I did just that. I was asked to speak at Laurel High School’s career day this past Tuesday, because some students had expressed interest in personal training.  I went and spoke in four, half hour sessions to the students, and even though it was uncomfortable, I gained so much from that experience. What I've realized though is that it hasn't been an overnight transformation, but a gradual one that has helped me be more comfortable in uncomfortable situations. I remember one of the first steps I took that made me uncomfortable was when I said yes to coaching a high school track team.  I didn't really want to do it, but I stepped out of my comfort zone and now I'm starting my sixth track season next week.  It's been a step by step process, and even though I still have times it's not comfortable, I look back and can't believe how far I've come and how rewarding it has been. 


Maybe you have an area of your life that makes you uncomfortable, and if you took that first step you would see big changes.  I think one area that makes people uncomfortable is starting a training program.  I see it all the time, people will call me about training but might not take action right away because of being uncomfortable.  It's awesome to see when they finally take that first step, granted sometimes a very difficult first step, and commit to training.  You see the growth that starts.  They go from being someone who is just getting through the workouts, to transforming to the person that can't miss a workout and is actually smiling at the end of it.  I think the great part about training that gets overlooked is the strength you gain from it to improve your life.  Most focus on getting that beach body or increasing their strength from lifting weights, but I think one of the best benefits you get is realizing that through sometimes uncomfortable workouts you gain the strength to get through difficult life circumstances.  If it makes you uncomfortable coming to a gym, but you really want to improve your health we have a great program to get you started. It is the Training for Warriors 8 week challenge. The program is set up for someone who is not comfortable going to the gym. You get to train with others who are just starting out or who haven't worked out in a while.  The program is all about starting slow and progressing in increments. We have new classes starting March 14th.  They will meet Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 9:00am and 6:30pm, and we would love for you to join us.  As TFW founder Martin Rooney says, “Get comfortable being uncomfortable”.  I know I have, and I am better off for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment