Monday, August 24, 2015

What are you afraid of?!

As you get older you start to realize just how much you didn't know when you were younger. I turned 44 a few weeks ago, and it took me the majority of those years to learn some simple life lessons. One thing that I've dealt with my entire life is fear.  I know I’m not alone in this, and fear can be extremely paralyzing. When you're a kid everything seems so big, especially things that you are afraid of.  In reality, my childhood fears were relatively simple, like being afraid of the dark, scary movies, girls, clowns, etc., or if you were like me, the Incredible Hulk. This is the one story my two older sisters love to tell.  According to them, I wouldn’t want to sleep alone if I had watched the Incredible Hulk recently. To this day, I deny that I was every afraid of the big, green man, but in actuality, I was terrified.  I am happy to report that I have overcome that fear, as you can see from the picture below that was taken a few weeks ago.



     All kidding aside, fears can be even worse as an adult. I've had to overcome a lot of fears in my life, and I’ve grown so much each time I've faced them and didn't allow them to hold me back. As you continue to face your fears head on, something amazing begins to happen.  You get stronger, and you eventually conquer those fears. I'm an introvert. Sometimes, being around people, especially groups of people, can stir up a lot of fear inside of me.  I've always had a strong desire to help others, so you can see where my introverted nature is a hindrance to this desire.  It has taken time, and I’m still not completely where I want to be, but I've allowed my desire to help others to be stronger than the fears I have from my introverted personality. There have been many circumstances and people in my life who have helped me overcome my fears.  I have been able to do things that I didn't think we're possible, one of the most important being my job as a coach. I have gained strength to conquer my fears through what I've learned from training. When you do things you didn't think were possible, it gives you an internal strength that makes you feel like you can conquer anything. I’ve had the privilege of witnessing this first hand.  When I get to see someone get their first chin-up or first real push-up, it's amazing to see their whole demeanor be transformed.  That person is no longer paralyzed by fear, but is ready and anxious to take on more challenges.
     I ask you what is a fear you have that's holding you back from accomplishing more in your life? We have a saying In Training for Warriors “Train more fear less”. That's not just about training in the gym, but in other areas of your life. Are you putting the extra time and effort into your job that will allow you to stomp out your fear of failure because you're more prepared? Are you eating healthier and taking the time to exercise to get rid of the nagging fear that you might not be around to see your kids grow up, or to hold your first grandchild?  I could give numerous examples, because everyone has at least one thing they are afraid of.  Maybe it’s a fear of working up enough courage to simply step foot into a gym.  If so, I want to help you kick that fear’s butt!   We have an 8-week warrior challenge class starting after Labor Day that will help you do just that. It's a step-by-step program that starts off with small steps, and progresses to give you the tools you need to succeed.

     Let’s face it; fear is an inevitable part of everyone’s life.  The difference is found in how someone responds to that fear.  Do your fears control you, or do you control your fears?  Ask yourself this question, “Do I need to train more and fear less?”  If so, take that first step toward conquering your fears and contact me today to sign up for our next 8 week warrior challenge.  I can promise you this, the 8 week warrior challenge isn't anywhere close to being as scary as the Incredible Hulk!

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit I was a little afraid to start working out when I first started going to your gym about 5 months ago, but now I'm so glad I did! It was definitely worth getting over my fear and going for it!

    ReplyDelete