Wednesday, June 24, 2015

When what seems impossible, becomes possible: Setting and achieving goals


My wife and I watched a great movie this past weekend called McFarland USA.  If you have not watched this movie, I highly recommend it.  The movie is based on a true story and is about a boys’ cross country team in a small town in California that had many challenges to overcome to compete and succeed. While I was watching the movie, it made me think about how everyone can relate to this team’s struggle in comparison to the everyday struggles we have to be healthy. There were a few points I took away that can help us be victorious in our goals to be and stay healthy.
  First, you need to have a goal of what you want to accomplish. The goal should be precise with a time frame attached to it. I ask people to write down their goals, and many times they write very vague, open-ended goals. The team in the movie set a very specific goal, they wanted to win a state championship at the end of their season.  Our goals should also be specific.  For example, I want to be at a certain body fat percentage by the end of 2015. Don't be afraid to aim high, but also be realistic on the time frame for what you are trying to accomplish.
  Once you establish the goal, then the real work begins.  This is one thing that viewers don’t think about when watching a movie.   We get excited about how a movie ends, but we don't think about the struggle and hard work that it took to reach that outcome. So, the second thing is to have a daily focus. It's easy to write days off and forget what your goals are and why you are doing what you are doing.  I’ve been guilty of this, and I’ll say I don't feel like working out today or eating right today. But those days usually lead to many bad days in a row. If you can be consistent in your daily activities you can accomplish your goals. The point is not just about being healthy, but also being successful in other things like raising our children, doing our jobs, or going to school. If we had a daily focus to do our best work, we would be unstoppable. Just focus on one day at a time.
 The last thing I learned from the movie is it’s better to accomplish things with others help than on our own. If you ever played a sport and everyone was on the same page, I bet your team was successful. It's the same with our health, if you have others there to push you and encourage you the task will be easier. I used to workout by myself all the time. I would struggle with my workouts at times, so I asked a friend to workout with me. What a difference that made for me! I push myself so much more, and on the days I don't feel like doing what I should, I have someone to hold me accountable. We've even added to the group, and it has been that much more beneficial. So, find someone that can give you that accountability in helping you with accomplishing your goals. 
What really got me excited from this movie are the parallels I draw from this cross country team to our Training For Warriors groups. At TFW we have challenges that we do quarterly that we can use to gauge how our fitness levels have improved, which in turn are helping us accomplish our personal goals of better health and smaller waistlines, etc.  At TFW there are daily workouts that help us achieve our goals, but also guidelines for nutrition and rest to get the most from our training. If you follow these, you will be ahead of the game. Finally, this biggest thing I took from the movie that parallels TFW is the teamwork. We want everyone to be encouraging, and to not just focus on yourself but helping others as well. We use the term Familia to describe what TFW is all about. There were family members on the team in the movie, but the entire team acted like a family.
  If you are interested in learning more about TFW please contact me, and if not at least watch the movie, I think you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment